Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fostering after adoption

So why are we fostering when we had such a great experience with matched adoption?  Well, adopting a 15 month old through CPS is almost unheard of.  Obviously it happened but lightening rarely strikes twice in the same location.  When we decided to continue with our agency after finalizing our son's adoption they didn't give  us many options.  Our choices were
 1) matched adoption but it had to be for a child over the age of 6.
 2) Foster to adopt any age child.
 3) Find another agency if options 1 or 2 didn't work for us.

Option #1 did not work for a few reasons.  I mentioned earlier that our profile for adoption was for a sibling group up to three children.  We were very surprised to be matched with a single child.  That also meant we would be adopting again.  We really feel called to keep birth order for now with our son.  So that meant we would be looking to adopt a child 2 years old or younger.  That eliminated option 1.

Option #3 did not work as we had no desire to start the process over with a new agency.

We prayed long and hard about option #2.  After much prayer we concluded that this is what God was calling us to.  So here we are, foster parents.  Loving and serving the precious children God has placed in our home.  It could be for a little while, it could be forever.  I just have to keep reminding myself that God loves them more than I do!

2 comments:

  1. God knows. I can look back on the many who came and went or stayed and see His hand on each and every situation. My peace came when I gave my desires to Him. And boy were we blessed. I often joke, be careful what you pray for! God hears your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I just found you blog. Hope to keep up with you all. Thanks for sharing your life with us. I love that about this community!

    ReplyDelete